Design Doing for a Sustainable Future Urban Farming, Food Production, and the Joy of Growing (J2ENV002C)
This inspirational programme combines hands-on workshops, instructional talks, and discussions where students are given an introductory overview of urban farming and sustainable development goals. Students will be taught design thinking to explore the development of innovative urban farming technologies in Hong Kong and globally and how it can help food sustainability and address problems caused by industrial agriculture. Students learn to be self-sufficient by building a hydroponic growth tank to grow their own vegetables. They will then share the joys of their hard work with a salad-making workshop.
Upon completion of the programme, participants should be able to;
- explain how innovative urban farming technology can help address food sustainability and address problems presented by industrial agriculture;
- describe the procedure and practice of hydroponic planting;
- gain self-confidence through putting effort into building a hydroponic growth tank and growing plants in the tank;
- appreciate the importance of time management by practicing hydroponic planting at home;
- become more self-sufficient and an effective team player by preparing a group meal together using the grown plants.
Dr Taihua HU
Senior Project Officer，Office of Service-Learning
|1||3 April 2021||9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Introduction to Sustainable Development.|
Goals and Different Design Methods.
|HKAGE Room 403|
|2||10 April 2021||9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Design thinking Workshop on Urban Farming and Food Production.||HKAGE Room 405 & 406|
|3||17 April 2021||9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Hydroponic Workshop and Introduction on Urban Farming Practices.||Conference Hall 2, G/F, Building 1E, Core Building 1, Science Park|
|4||1 May 2021||9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Preparing Your Own Mircrogreen Lunch Boxes and Home-made Mushroom Farm.||HKAGE Room 403|
|5||15 May 2021||9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||A Crush Course of Plant Biotechnology – Modern Agriculture Breeding and Production.||HKAGE Room 404|
|6||22 May 2021||9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Sharing Your Joy of Hard Work – A Salad-making Workshop.||Conference Hall 5, 2/F, Building 10W, Lakeside 2, Science Park|